How Best to Contact HMRC

14th December 2016

We’ve all been there – sat for hours on hold, willing and waiting for HMRC to just pick up and answer our one, simple question regarding tax, haven’t we?

Did you know that last year HMRC was forced to recruit 2,400 new staff to recover service standards after average-waiting times tripled compared with previous levels, resulting in taxpayers experiencing direct call charges while on hold for long periods of times?

So whilst calling the taxman is never going to be an enjoyable experience, we’ve put together the information you’ll need to make contacting HMRC easier, quicker and hopefully will stop you from pulling your hair out.

When are the best and worst times to contact HMRC?

Best: HMRC says the lines are less busy on Tuesdays to Thursdays between 8.30am-10am, 11.30am-1pm and 2pm-4pm.

Worst: You’re more likely to placed on hold any time on Monday or Friday, or at 10.00am-11.30am and 5.30pm-7pm on other weekdays

HMRC has said that whilst 87% of calls are being answered, the average waiting time during these windows are just four and a half minutes.

We recommend you avoid calling between 4.30pm and 5pm on weekdays, as the average waiting times rise ‘to more than 12 minutes.’

(We suspect it’s little more)

What’s the number?

Telephone: 0300 200 3300

Text phone: 0300 200 3319

Outside UK: +44 135 535 9022

Contact HMRC for help with questions about Income Tax, including:

  • PAYE coding notices
  • Marriage Allowance
  • changing your personal details

Remember to have your National Insurance number with you when you phone.

When is it open?

The number is available 8am- 8pm Monday to Friday, 8am-4pm Saturday, closed Sundays, Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day.

Even though line hours have been extended due to helplines not being open on Sundays or post-4pm on Saturdays, only those yet to renew can use the hotline during those extended times.

How else can you contact HMRC?


Write to HMRC at this address for all Income Tax queries except complaints.

You don’t need to include a street name, city name or PO Box when writing to this address.

Pay As You Earn and Self Assessment

HM Revenue and Customs


Couriers should use a different address.

Online forms

You can use this service to:

If HMRC needs to contact you about anything confidential, they’ll contact you by phone or post.


You can use Twitter to get general help from HMRC, however they won’t be to discuss specific cases or an individual’s tax affairs, so make sure you don’t give any personal details.

Start your tweet with @HMRCcustomers

How can Walker Smith help?

At Walker Smith, all of our Payroll and Customer care team are specialists in tax, meaning we will be your first point of call if you have a query regarding your deductions.

With Walker Smith’s Contractor Employment Plus package, contractors become an employee of Walker Smith so we take responsibility for all of your invoicing, cash collection and managing your personal tax.

We send weekly Real Time Information (RTI) reports to HMRC, and as long as we have your NI number on record, HMRC will send us corrections if your tax code is wrong.

Unfortunately we cannot speak to HMRC on your behalf, but we can provide you with the best information to sort out your tax code.

Call us today on +44 (0) 161 359 3235 to discuss how we can help you further, and we promise you won’t be placed on hold or waiting longer than a few seconds!